Sep 2, 2009

Wait--this is real?!

Hello from the land of smiles!

Well, today has been quite the adventure, indeed. We got up, took a cab to the train station, then hopped on a train with 2 other companionship's to go to อยุธยา (Ayuthya)! This town was incredible, but I'm not there yet...we're still on the train. So as you know, I love trains, so I was definitely loving my life. Yes, it was hot, and crowded and the our seats were right across from the bathroom (literally a hole in the train) but i loved it all. It was great to get away from the city and see whole new side of Thailand. The farther we got away, the more it look what I had first imagined Thailand to look it. (and, btw, the train is the way to travel, SOOO cheap!) So we show up to the train station, all 7 of us sisters and because 5 of us were white of course everyone's freaking out and wanting to take us in their took took to see everything. Then people were crazy for a sec, so we decided not to use them because they were freaking out because one of the sisters (a khonThai) didn't speak Thai "chat" clearly, so they didn't believe she was Thai.. Why? We still have no idea what the problem was..haha. So after trying to calm people down ("WE all speak Thai" and "this is the land of smiles, right? ) we all crammed in this little took took, going from Wat to Wat enjoying the beauty of Thailand. I would try to describe them, but i cant.. so I'll just send pics....it's more beautiful and descriptive that way. But if you can't wait, just go watch Mortal Combat (2 I'm actually not sure, I don't remember seeing the movie, but that's what everyone said...?) and you'll know where I went. K. I love Thailand. So then we hopped back on the train and came home, (more time to love my life being on a train, with the window open in Thailand with it raining on us (natural cooling agent)). Sometimes i just have to remind myself that this is all real. My life still seems surreal...

Anyhoo, so that was just today. The rest of the week was great. Time is FLYING. I feel like I just pressed "send" on last week's email like 2 1/2 min ago. We had Zone Conference, Ward Conference and everyday full of teaching, preaching and finding. Ward conference was a big deal here, so I can just imagine what stake conference was like. I sang with our ward choir for conference, too. So fun! I was thinking about our stake and how I have a totally different perspective on wards/stakes, etc as a missionary. I know that the missionaries serving in our stakes and ward in the Arcadia mission REALLY care and love everyone and really do want to help it be a stronger, more "zion" like ward/stake. They work hard to help build up and strengthen everyone spiritual. So if anyone feels like their ward or stake is struggling, they should talk with their missionaries in their ward and ask how they can help. ( i know we LOVE it when a member can come teach with us. It's fun and easy and you feel really good after you do it). Missionary work is just serving. So if you want any ideas on how to help your ward-Talk to the missionaries. Or at least feed them.. haha. :) Mom and Dad, Thanks for always being such a great example on how to fulfill and magnify callings. I've been blessed with amazingness my whole life because of people like you.

This whole email thing is kinda weird too. I'll just email whoever I can remember every time. Direct family is totally cool to email to, but the rest you slums will have to wait... haha... OK... i really don't know why "slums" was the first thing I thought of. None of you are "slums." ........in fact...what does that even mean? I love you all. จริง.

So, on a totally unrelated note.. people are always asking me what things I miss or want if they send a package or something. Honestly, I'm good. And because it's so expensive to send stuff, I figure, just don't. BUT.... just in case someone really wanted to know... I thought of something that would be nice (because i was shopping and thought of it): Instant Oatmeal. (cinnamon :) ) Nature valley granola bars, or anything of that sort. Those are just guiltily pleasures that you can find here in some "high-so" places, but they're not worth spending our money on. If i ever move out of the city, I know those kind of things would be wondrous and glorious to receive.. So just put that in your back pocket. Fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, granola bars, instant oatmeal, etc, etc. Things like that. Basically the things that Kellie gave me in that delicious surprise attack visit goodie bag at the airport. yummm.. :) Now don't go out and send anything just because i said this. I don't really need anything. Just wanted to let you know.

Well, I gtg now. Time is always running out.

Jenny- Good luck with school this year! have fun! Work hard. Study hard! Make goals and plans and accomplish all of your wildest dreams. Chris and Nicole : "all of those things are my favorites too!" Vinton's "Booty" Riles and Jill " Dang Gina!" McCracklet's: Have fun in Cali! everyone else: "you are so cool."

Until next week!

Love,

Sister O'Neil

OH WAIT!!! How did I forget. So you know how we're doing "service" at the Hospital? Well in this week's episode: we watched a guy get screws in his arm. Aka.. SURGERY. Seriously...what the random.. Only in Thailand would they invite us into watch a guy get his arm fixed.... Oh Thailand...

LOVE!

No comments: