Dec 11, 2012

New Job = New Life

Back in February my old companion and BFF (and now roomy!), Heidi, who knew I was looking for a new job, suggested that I email my resume into her boss because her company was hiring. All I knew about Heidi's job was that she worked with these crazy girls and that it was fun, but taxing. So, I sent my resume in, had an interview and BAM! I had a new job. And subsequently, a new life.


I really had no idea what I was getting into when I took this job. I can't really describe the feeling I had after the interview and before I accepted the job. It wasn't overwhelming excitement (because it was so unknown), but it wasn't the feeling of “oh, well I really need a job, so I’ll take anything I can get.”

So yes. Now I work at a drug rehab (group home style) for teenage girls.  I never could have imagined myself working at a place like this (I mean, really. Look at my job history: teller, little house on the island bear hunter/fisher, conference assistant/ door locker/ freshman couples heckler, Westward Ho fry maker, receptionist, missionary, nanny, copy maker/book binder. Yoah, what the random? Maybe it's not so weird after all, as random seems to be my norm). 

Like any new job, the first couple weeks were intense and slightly overwhelming.   I constantly felt like I had no idea what I was doing and was very cautions because of the legalities involved with working with high-risk youth, in state custody.  I felt kinda like insta-mom with 14-16, crazy/silly/drug abusing/manipulative/sweet/hilarious and sometimes “beezy” teenage daughters.  As much as I am concerned/complain about my job (sorry Tran, you hear it all) I really, really love it.  I just feel like there is so much possibility and growth. I am privileged to work with girls who have had a crazy (short) life.  It feels similar to missionary life- in the way that we teach life changing principles and then get to watch their personal journey.

And these girls are crazy/fun and we do crazy/fun things (cooking classes, llama farm, color festival, walking in parades with llamas, etc).  I know I’ll talk more about work later, (because it’s taking over my life) but for now you just need to know that I am very thankful for my job and my co-workers (especially Heidi). I feel blessed to have a job that I love and that is helping me to progress in life (it is the reason why I am now starting to prepare to go into Social Work).

No comments: