I just got on Facebook (no surprise there) and was reminded
that today is Father’s day in Thailand.
And seeing that I am half Thai (ลูกครึ่ง) I thought I’d give half a
Father’s Day shout out to the wonderful man I call Fawther.
This man, simply said, is awe-mazing! Seriously. You know
how when you’re in second grade and they ask who your hero is and everyone says
“my mom” or “my dad” or “ fire trucks”? Well, I’m not really sure what my
response was. Maybe someone churchy like Joseph Smith (yay for being 1 of 4
Mormon kids in my entire grade) or maybe it was Captain Planet (EARTH!) or
maybe I said my parents…. I don’t remember. Anyhow… right now I definitely (and confidently) want to say
that one of my biggest heroes, and someone I love the most in the history of
the world is my Fawther.
My dad has taught me everything I know. Well… probably not everything. I mean.. I DID have lots of
teachers and friends, and siblings, and pets, and “children” and companions, and church leaders and a
mom (Oh, Debbie) that I’ve learned a lot from throughout the years. But
everything that was really essential, fundamental and important to know, my dad
took time and effort to try to teach me. Granted, I’m not the smartest bulb on
the tree (yay, Christmas!) but I’m a lot brighter because of his sagely
wisdom. I love talking with
him. Sometimes we talk for hours
and it seems like just minutes have passed. Sometimes we don’t talk for very
much at all, but it’s just as equally satisfying. He taught me the value of
hard work, compassion, forgiveness, and laughter. He taught me to appreciate
the simple things in life (drinking slush while eating BLT sandwiches made from
tomatoes he grew in the backyard), and he spoiled me with all things [Daddy! (Tiffany?)
I joke… but really…He’s too good
to me]. I will never (EVER
EVER—Taylor Swift style?) be able to repay/thank this good man for
everything he’s done for me. My gratitude will always be found wanting. The only thing I hope to do is to pass
along his example and traditions to the next generation and to everyone around me. People always joke with my dad that
he’ll only get into the Celestial Kingdom because he married my mom (and we’ve
discussed how it’s true to an extent… but we’ll talk about Debbie another day)
but all I have to say is that Debbie wasn’t looking for another charity to help
when she married you, Dad. Likes attract and she knew your potential and your
true value and married the crap out of you (before her roommate could). And Mazel tov to that!
So Fawther - Happy Father’s day!
Peace and blessin’s.
***Happy 'Murican Fawther's day! *** This is now 6 months later. All of this is still true. I really do have the best dad. We have a great time together. Thanks for everything!
***Happy 'Murican Fawther's day! *** This is now 6 months later. All of this is still true. I really do have the best dad. We have a great time together. Thanks for everything!

1 comment:
hahaha i just love this. and i agree. hahah :)
Post a Comment