Apr 18, 2010

Hilary News 4/19/10

Dearest Family!

Greeeeeeettings from Chaing Mai, Thailand the BEST place in the world. Today I feel like there's so much that I want to write, that I'm having trouble knowing where to start. I want to write it all at the same time, but it would end up something like "shrimp,bluebowallgotbapstisedsonkranghelosthisglasesesinsestchinatown20portentinskaijdahlÊÇÑʴչСê." so yes. That was my week. I hope you enjoyed it.

No, but really. This week was probably one of the highlights of my mission. It was so extreme of everything... ridiculousness, hotness, spiritual(ness) ...just everything. I guess I'll just go in order...'

Monday...I wrote you that day, I don't really remember what else happened that day.

Tuesday... Songkran REALLY started.. therefore making it completely a waste of our life to go invite. Because we were try to go talk to someone, they just throw a bucket of water in our face.. (true story) ...so... we all kind of called "sanctuary" at the church and studied and tried to make appointments will members and investigators at the church. We had our usual weekly district meeting and then we planed and prepared for our English activity for that night...which basically turned into us playing songkran at the church... It was ridiculous...and so funny. So we were wet all Tuesday too..

Wed... P DAY..were we actually went out into the world and played Songkran with the locals. And let me tell you..... it was sooo FUN... I don't really think I could explain it all well enough to give you an idea of what it was like... But I'm sure if you google "songkran in Chaing Mai" you'll find some good videos of what it's like. We even had a miracle. One of the Elders lost his glasses in the mote that's around the city (which is filled with nasty water..) and since we can't swim we were just like..."oh GREAT" but... one of the Elders investigators happened to be there too, and he jumped in, and came up with a pair of glasses.... woman's sun glasses.... so.. he went back down again.. And came up with another pair (a different pair of woman's sunglasses) He swam around for a while...and finally was like.. ok.. last time.. We missionaries had all given up hope by this point, so we were all surprised when he came up the last time with Elder Newman's glasses.. It was crazy! He later told us that he was getting frustrated (and grossed out) and so he prayed and said "this is the last time...then I'm giving up" SO... not only is this kid awesome, but he showed all of us missionaries what it means to have faith. Awesome.. (and He's getting baptised this Sunday)..

Thursday... was long planing and the last real day of Songkran...aka... we were at home most of the day..

Friday... I don't remember it all... it kinda jumbles into sat.
Sat. Normal... But... we had lessons and inviting and then the Counselor in the mission presidency came up and ended up taking all of the missionaries out to a buffet. It was fun.. Muu Ga Ta is delicious.... and apparently we were rubbing shoulders with some high up government official... but since we're farang... we don't know... but he came to church withe the counselor the next day.. so that was cool..

Sunday: Pure AWESOMENESS... Gung, Blue and Bow were all baptised... they are all so cute.. Hopefully I'll put pictures up soon. Basically Gung is the "elected" I can't even begin to describe how incredible we felt to see her in her white dress. So yes.. Baptism is awesome. And then we found out that our other (eternal) investigator, Mai, can get baptised...so SHE will be baptised this coming Sunday.. And that is just the icing on the cake (because i think this Sunday is going to be my last up here in the North. :(

So, this email did not give my life justice.... but just try to imagine. The church is TRUE. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Thank you all for you love and support. It was fun "chatting" with you Chris, Lisa, and DAD (wow!! Mission first..holla! Gold star to you!) and even a note from Megan. I'll write more next week! Love you

Love, Sister O'Neil

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY To Brenda!!! (thank you for the pics.. I loved them...esp Sammy) I hope you had a great day! Sorry my card will be slow..

P.P.S.. Happy Birthday to you too, sister Lo!! thanks for the email a little while back.. I think i started a letter to you somewhere.. I'll moving soon, so I'll find it. I hope you're doing well!

P.P.P.S --Kellie.. i loved your comments... I feel the same way sometimes..

No comments: