Oct 28, 2009

The end of October...

Hello people!

Well.... it's the end of October? Ready for Halloween? I hope everyone has a grand time. We are planning on eating at a farang restaurant. (yummy Italian… Yes please)

First of all.. I really enjoyed laughing at all the email today. Especially Justin’s… I wish I could serve in the same area as him… Or write as entertaining letters as he does.. Dressing up like the Book of Mormon sounds pretty sweet.. However, I don’t think that would fly here in Thailand….people would be soooo confused. Plus.- It’s too unbelievably hot for that. Sounds like everyone else is having a grand life. Sorry I don’t get to do more commentary on that, but I just know there are more things to talk about from my end.

One thing I realize I haven’t talked much about is the work here.. What the heck do I talk about each week if I never talk about the work? The work is my life…. So, A few things you should know.

This past week one of our Investigators, Gan, was baptized. She is a hilarious 13 year old girl and she’s been investigating for a couple years now, she just had family opposition. But- Sunday was a great day. Right after church, we had the baptismal service (which is kinda weird to me, and I know in the future I can talk more about baptisms and church and culture and such, but for right now… I never have enough time) So yes… It was kinda funny because they baptized her, and she went to go change, but then they were like “come back! We didn’t say it right”… So… we dunked her again ( In what we call the “pot” because it is literally a big metal tank in the back of the church”) but she didn’t go all the way under. So 3rd time’s the charm! It was a great day and I was glad we had 7 other investigators there to watch it too. Last night I also found out that one of my investigators from Bangnaa was baptized on Sunday, too. SWEET! Our investigator change from week to week… It really just depends. But there is one girl who I just thing is amazing. Her name is Gift. She actually lived in Utah about 10 years ago and investigated the church, but then moved back here and didn’t know the church was in Thailand. So after 10 years of no contact, she saw our Free English class sign and has been investigating ever since. I love meeting new people everyday, too. Yesterday I met a great, cute family in the park and we’ll start teaching them this week. We teach people everyday. I never have enough time to write about them all, but they are great and I’m sure in the future I’ll tell you all about them. (it’s easier to tell you in person, than type… But I’ll type as much as I can, too,)

In other news… My comp, sister Young, fell into the klong yesterday. It was only a matter of time before that happened to one of us. I’ll take pictures and post them soon so you can see the klong for yourself. Oh, and I’m pretty sure that yesterday when I was talking to these people in the park, they were pretty confused at one point because I was telling them how Christianity had many different “watches” instead of “sects”. Cool… I love Thai.

Dear Bences, thanks for the greetings. Laura.. loved your story about little ellie, too. Kellie... loved your comments... And you. Everyone else.. I love you, too. Seriously.

Favorite scripture of the week : 2 Nephi 9:51

Number of dead frogs: 28 (a whopping 9 all from yesterday...the floods finnally cleared.:)

Well, Until next week!

Farewell to Manzanar,

Sister O'Neil

No comments: