Nov 4, 2009

Weekly Journal update # 277

Well

Hello there.

It's November 4, 2009. 11:01 am in Thailand. We had to go to the office today to renew Sister Young's visa, so I'm currently emailing in Pakkret, sandwiched in the middle of 6 other sister missionaries. After this we're going to go eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Yay!

Wow- What an interesting week. And since I already used a chunk of my time trying to upload more pictures (failed...maybe next week) I'll just give you the "key indicator" version of everything that happened this week.

# of cows hit by Taxi's we were in: 1
# of broken rear view mirrors: 1
# of cows that just looked like they had a hangover: 1
# of dead frogs (not just this week...it's an on going count): 46 .. (if you're a frog in Thailand...don't try to cross the street at night...you will die)
# of cows slapped by me: 1 .. There are just here...in the way...all the time. I love it.
Delicious Chinese style meat ball/dumpling style treats that later betrayed missionaries: 4 (2/person)

Cold days in Thailand: 1 1/2. Yesterday was cold and rainy.. no joke. (Ok...so it was probably only 74 degrees, BUT it was cloudy and rainy...that mixed with riding a bike=cold)

# of saws brought to church: 1
# of trees sacrificed to celebrate Loygrathong: 153092....ok...I don't really know..but it was ridiculous. Especially because at church we looked outside and this woman was just cutting down a banana tree like it was no problem...and I guess it wasn't because nobody thought anything of it. (and hence the last key indicator)

[Loygrathong is a really cool Thai holiday. You make these floating candle/flower things and then send them into the river. It's kinda like valentines day...Sort of...only because you can "loy" with your significant other. But Basically you send these floating things into the river to thank the water for everything and ask forgiveness. We went to a Wat to see what it was like. It's way cool. I'll have to explain it more later when I'm off the mish....There's never enough time to write everything.]

Thanks for all the emails and letters and such. (Con, Jr....I am DEFINITELY having fun on my mission.) I love you all and appreciate your constant love and support.

Now for some shout outs:

Jesse, I doubt you read this...but Happy Birthday. Ammon- Same to you! There are lots of b-day's this month....Laura, Katie, Mom, etc. So just in case the future happens and I forget... Happy Birthday to you all!!

Until next week!!

Fare well to Manzanar!

The church is true!!

I love my life!

Love,
Sister O'Neil

No comments: