Aug 11, 2009

Woo!!

Well, I'm hoping this week works just perfectly. It should becasue I'm acutally at completely different location. A Tesco Lotus, to be exact (yes, it's a grocery store- I think we have one in the states...but i'm not really sure).We went to the Zone's Tiaw (vacation/trip) at our neighboring zone's church building. We just played games and talked. I wrote some letters and such. (we were the only sisters there). Sorry about last week's emails and such. Lisa said that you were all able to read my letter together and It made me wish it was more. But I do what I can, right?

Lets, see.... This week was interesting. I still feel like everyday is so long (but short weeks) and each day is so different and difficult in it's own way, but so fun and easy at the same time. And while I feel like so much happens every day, I also feel like I don't have much to report on. So here are some things from this week. I think Sunday was one of my favorite days. We went to church- My first Fast Sunday in Thailand. And just like every ward, it was open mic night. We had a lot of other Farangs there (a cute family of 3 from the States, but who have been living in China for 2 years and came to Thailand to renew their visas. And an old missionary who cobed (ended) a year ago and came back to visit) So sister Wichittra was translating for the family and so I was actually able to understand all the little details of the testimonies. My favorite was probably from a Brother who is basically the Asian version of Adrian. He's even a teacher. However, in his "testimony" he was sharing about how he used to beat this one bad student who never did his homework with a metal rod until he realized it probably wasn't the Christlike thing to do. Yay for him trying to be more Christlike. I acutally really like him, I just thought it was funny that he was sharing that story. After church, we ate with the ward, and then had correlation meeting, which basically means I sit there and get a headache becasue After 8 hours of translating in my head, I'm mentally tired. It's getting better though! Then we decided to go and preach the good word to some people and hand out a couple copies of the Book of Mormon. We went to this one market place area, almost got killed by an elephant who suddenly appeared from around the corner, and then ended up on a dock on a random river that I had no idea was even there (Thailand is so cool). It was fun to notice the random blessings you get from doing what you're supposed to be. We were walking around this market, and smelling all this delcious food and thinking how hot it was and how much we wanted to buy food or a drink, (but it's sunday, and we're good missionaries, so we can't) and then periodically over the next couple hours, random people came up to us and handed us food. "here, these are for you"....uhhhh thanks! I think my favorite part of the day was talking to people on the dock enjoying the beauty of Thailand. Simple things are the best. We ended up getting 2 new investigators that day, too. Wahoo!

So one experience that really affected me this week was going to visit this one old lady. I think I wrote about her before, how she is half paralyzed and her son doesn't care about her at all and there is no one else to take care of her, but I'm not sure if that was in one of the letters that didn't make it to you or not. But anyways.. we went to go visit her again. Last time we were there, we cleaned her house and sang to her and such and we noticed that she hurt her foot and it was pretty gross. So this week when we went back, we talked to her neighbor who was outside hanging up laundry and the neighbor said this lady's foot was worse. So we went in, and sure enough it was. It was sooo sad. I probably have never felt so completely useless in my life. As missionaries we can only do so much, plus we have no car, so we couldn't take her to the hopsital. So we called the Bishop and did the best we could to get some help for her. But really.. just looking at this woman and the state that she lives in, and then NOT being able to help her, or even talk to her really just made me so sad. Then my companion felt so helpless too, she started crying.. which made ME want to cry... and by the end of it, we all were. We joked and said we were crying because of all the water we drank, but the lady said it was naamcay ( heart water). It was really an emotional moment. Im just so thankful for the gospel and that this old lady knows the gospel too and that's she's basically just enduring to the end. oh man.. God bless that little woman. So yes, mom, dad, and everyone who has ever done anything to help someone in need: Thank you, and please keep it up. You are literally angels of the Lord when you help your fellow man.

Hmm...what else. We're trying to move houses...which is just another hassel. There's another situation where I feel usless.. There is this annoying third party lady that we "have to use" which I know we don't, but I can't really help the situation go faster becasue I can't explain it in Thai. I know could totally make this not as difficult if I could speak more fluently. BUt at least I'm doing what I can (talking to the officer Elders and President about it- which is easier for me to do, than for my comp) So basically we make a good team.

2 random ridiculous things. The other day I walked back outside to leave when my skrit fell off. I really don't kno what the heck is wrong with me. at the Mtc, my slip fell off, and now my SKIRT feel off. I'm pretty sure at least 2 of the 8 construction workers nextdoor saw it, but I don't really know. I just laughed, pulled it back up, and went inside. (if you're wondering, it was the brown skirt we made. I guess i'll have to get it adjusted to prevent futher fallage.) Then just right now, (like 40 min ago) i was in the bathroom and the drawstring on my shorts broke...making me scared that next my shorts will fall off....at the mall. Awesome.. Seriously...I wish I weren't so ridiculous.

Well, I think I pretty get going now. Only a couple more hours to buy groceries and prepare for English class. Next week is moves! I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the same place. I'm excited for the 15 Missionaries from the MTC to come! yay!

Please tell the Bences and Owens and such hello for me. Thanks Tammie and Kathy for the letters/emails. It's fun to hear from people. Kell-dawg, thanks too! You continue your streak of amazing letter writer. Laura, and Tara and other people I havent' written too yet, calm down. I can't becasue i don't really have your addresses becasue I know you're moving soon. So email your new address or something. Thank you! Thanks for taking care of the random mail and such from the MTC.. I don't really know why my letter to Trevor came there, but ok.

I love you all! Keep up the good work at home. Enjoy church and the temple and random vacations and such. oh, girls camp toO! Have fun with that, Jen! Love love love from Thailand!

Love, Sister O'Neil

No comments: